Reflection, Contemplation, Integration, Gratitude, Generosity.
Begin by reflecting upon the most significant events or milestones of your life in the past year. Name them in factual, non-judgmental, uncolored ways. Keep the description concise for the moment. You will have the opportunity to add detail in the next step.
Consider these three categories. Spend time in reflection and make a list of significant events.
- Body (transformation related to form, relationship with or wisdom of the body, or the essential life force)
- Mind (Mental, emotional transformation, acquisition of wisdom, or refinement of mind and emotions)
- Spirit (spiritual insight, transformation, or deepening of self-awareness)
- Contemplation: Sit quietly and bring to mind each event. See them as an observer and seek to have the deepest understanding of the event and its impact upon your life.
- Integration: Examine the stage of integration that you feel you have reached regarding the event. Are you still learning about it? Have you grown in wisdom because of it? Has this experience already become a part of you? Is there anything more you need to do to access the wisdom or gift of this life event?
- Gratitude: Express your gratitude for what the event has brought into your life, how it may have increased your awareness or activated a transformation.
- Generosity: Describe how you can pass along what you’ve received for the benefit of others.
Optional: The Burning Bowl
If you choose, at the completion of this process you can take these journal writings and burn them. Let your reliance be upon being fully present in lived experiences and moment to moment awareness of what is real and true. Take into your being all that has come to you in this year of life. Merge with it.
May we each embrace change as an opportunity to grow beyond our perceived limitations, learning our strengths and weakness. May we meet change as a call to check our intentions, our spiritual maturity, and our integrity. May change constantly rekindle the fire of commitment to our practice and help us grow into full expression.